- Staged uninterrupted annually from 2008 (including full event in year of Tohoku earthquake).
- Total over 1,750 performers, from 46 countries/regions.
- Over a quarter of a million audience total.
- Jointly staged Mogu Mogu Festival (world goods and gourmet) from 2011.
- Jointly staged Waku Waku Festival (physical activity) from 2014.
Our event grew out of local and national concerts that our core members staged in Hakodate in 2003 and in 2006. All current GIA officials (and also some volunteer staff) have been with the event since 2003.
We are thrilled that now we have been visited by artists from so many different countries. Check out the map above, which includes the first-time countries for 2016: Israel and Colombia. As you can see, we have already met a lot of the world in Hakodate.
Since one of our themes is “Long Now”, we archive our activities. You can view galleries of all previous years’ events (click on “Gallery” in the top menu bar) and also get an idea how our festival developed each year (click on the “Archive” tab).
To reach our total count of 46 countries/regions, in addition to the 42 countries on the map
there are also four regions that we include in our running total. Links to Wikipedia:
- Niue (island country) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niue
- Republic of Buryatia (Russia) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buryatia
- The Chuvash Republic (Russia) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuvashia
- Basque Country (autonomous community), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_Country_(autonomous_community)