- Theme: The “Long Now” Concerts.
- Catch copy: Every August. For 30,000 People. Worlds Meet in Japan.
- Successful annually from 2008, including
- full event in year of Tohoku earthquake,
- “Moat’s Art” physical distancing event in year of Covid-19.
- Jointly staged Mogu Mogu Festival (world goods and gourmet) from 2011.
- Jointly staged Waku Waku Festival (physical activity) from 2014.
WMDF and other activities of “Worlds Meet Japan” grew out of local and national concerts staged by founding members 2003 and in 2006. Many of the key organisers have worked the festival every year since the start.
The map on this page shows how much of the world we have met in Hakodate. Counting “countries & regions” has fuzzy borders… Included in our running total:
- Niue (island country) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niue
- Republic of Buryatia (Russia) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buryatia
- The Chuvash Republic (Russia) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuvashia
- Basque Country (autonomous community), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_Country_(autonomous_community)
- Hawaii, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii